Sunday, January 1, 2017

Stripes: Now in Pattern Format

Six years ago, my son, James, asked for a scarf for his New Year's Day birthday. I wanted to knit him a simple yet handsome scarf and, after sifting through my stash for suitable colours, I came up with this one, which he still wears most winter days. The instructions barely merit writing down, but because knitters keep asking, here they are...


Even though this is a garter stitch piece, it has a certain manly sophistication, both in appearance and in the construction with its crochet cast on and stretchy bind off. It looks good on the reverse side too.


When the knitting and blocking was complete, I hustled James out the door for pics on what turned out to be the first real snowfall of the year.


Happy knitting, and Happy New Year!