Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Calculating

Global warming seems to be having an impact. We're having the warmest December on record. No snow in sight, but I'm not complaining. I'm just back from Old Farm Fine Foods, where I ordered a local turkey for Xmas. Since the store is only steps from the Frontenac Courthouse, there was lots of lunch traffic; the Shafia trial and its attendant media frenzy are approaching climax point. I walked past the Rosemount Inn, with its whimsically decorated trees.


Check out the sparrows roosting in the tree top; they certainly seem to be enjoying the fine winter sunshine.
Now that I'm back home, I'm about to double check my calculations for a pattern to be published in the spring. It's a top-down raglan, and I'm wrestling with one of the drawbacks to this form of design. The problem is that as the sizes get bigger and bigger, if no adjustments are made, the raglan depth eventually becomes out of proportion (way too big) for the wearer. I like the diagonal line of the raglan to be no longer than 11 1/2  inches for the largest woman's size I'm making (and it's pretty large), especially given the current fashion preference for closer-fitting silhouettes. One way to achieve this is to cast on stitches at the underarms when the raglan is at the desired depth in order to reach the appropriate body width. However, it's best not to cast on too many inches of stitches there. I know Deb Gemmell of Cabin Fever is working on a book all about solving this problem. Can't wait to read it.