Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Stupid, Stupid, Stupid

It's tax time. I sent all our tax "stuff" off to our accountants a couple of weeks ago, except for one T3 slip which hadn't arrived. We've been having difficulty getting it sent to our new address, but finally, it came today. I faxed a copy to our accountants, addressed an envelope so I could send the original, and then somehow SHREDDED IT. It wasn't even in the house for an hour and I managed to destroy it! Don't ask how stupid I feel.
I'm consoling myself by making some Blomidon Inn bread. Five years ago we stayed at the Blomidon in Wolfville, Nova Scotia, while visiting Acadia University. In fact, Bill spent a year teaching at Acadia early on in his career. He has fond memories of Wolfville and the Annapolis Valley. I have fond memories of our stay at the Blomidon. First, because they served us a really wonderful breakfast and offered me a copy of the recipe for their bread and second, because I managed to squeeze in a visit to Gaspereau Valley Fibres, a cross between a Rowan studio and a sheep farm. Wow! Even Bill seemed to want to linger.
In case anyone wants an easy, yummy bread recipe, here's my adaptation of the Blomidon's breakfast oatmeal molasses bread.

1/2 c. oats (I use large flake)
1/4 c. cornmeal
1/2 c. + 2 tbsp. molasses
1/4 tsp. salt
1 c. hot water
2 tbsp. canola oil
4 c. unbleached flour (more or less)

Mix together all of the above except the flour and let cool to lukewarm.
Meanwhile, add 1/2 c. warm water to 1 1/2 tbsp. dry yeast and 3/4 tsp. sugar. Let the yeast soften until slightly foamy.
Add the yeast mixture to the molasses mixture and add enough flour to make a dough that is not sticky, but not dry either. Knead until elastic.
Shape into 2 loaves and put to rise in pans prepared with non-stick spray. Give the loaves a quick spray too, to prevent them from drying out. Leave to rise for about 1 hour and 15 min. Bake at 350 degrees F. or until the loaves sound hollow when tapped--about 30 min.



Amherst Shore Country Inn