Wednesday, November 10, 2010

The End of Autumn

 I love this time of year, when the most of the leaves have been blown off the trees and all that's left on the sumac bushes are their red berries. The light is different and magical, now that the leaves are gone, as we wait for winter to descend upon us. This has been a week to say goodbye to the garden, to plant bulbs, and gather up fallen leaves. It's been a week to get out the gloves and scarves, including my newly finished lacy baktus scarf.

Lacy Baktus, knitted in Shibui merino sock yarn.
As a way of putting the old season to bed, preparatory to going forward into the new one, here are some shots of the old garden in Ottawa and the new one in Kingston.

Foxgloves in our Ottawa garden
The garden gate, Ottawa
Hydrangeas showing their autumnal colours by my front door in Kingston



Hollyhocks across the street from my house in Ottawa
Mackay Lake last fall, Ottawa
Irises on my front lawn in Ottawa




The maple tree up the street from my Kingston house