Friday, October 22, 2010

Fry-day

I'm often not in a cooking mood on Fridays, so here I'm presenting my fave easy Friday recipe--ginger-soy tofu. For those of you who don't think you like tofu, or who don't know what to do with it, here's a recipe even Bill, my husband, loves. The tofu comes out dark brown and crispy and (dare I say it ?) meaty. Buy the kind of tofu that comes in little tubs with water, not the vacuum-packed variety. Press it by wrapping it in a tea towel on a plate and topping it with something heavy, like a big cookbook. I do this an hour ahead of the cooking.
1 tbsp. canola oil
1 1-lb package of extra-firm tofu, drained, pressed, and cut into 16 cubes
1/3 c. low-sodium soy sauce (I like Kikkoman) combined with 1 tsp minced fresh ginger

Warm the oil in a large non-stick skillet. Add the tofu and fry for 5 min. Add half of the soy-ginger mixture, and cook for 2 min. Flip the pieces of tofu and pour the remaining sauce over them. Cook for 5 more min.
We like this served over hot white rice with steamed broccoli. Yum!

This is a modification of a recipe from "The Healthy College Cookbook", by Nimetz, Stanley, and Starr, Storey Books, 1999.

It's time here to get out the mittens and gloves. Down to -1C last night. Here are mine. Are yours ready for the cold?